Monday, August 24, 2009

Listen

I've realized in the past two days that what I have missed most this summer is the sound of children singing to their God. It is probably my most favorite sound in the world. I didn't realize this simply doing worship with SOS. It wasn't until all the students were here and we sang that I was reminded that unified voices, loud and unashamed, fills my head with beautiful feelings. It's not happiness per-say, and it doesn't give me holy goosebumps or make my heart swell, but there is a rightness to it that I feel was missing all summer long.

I have missed the sound of worship. I have heard it in church the few times I've gone but the quiet voices of self-conscious thirty/forty-somethings singing at a stage cannot compare to the beauty of overgrown children raising their voices.

I've missed the loud Spanish songs sung by the groundskeepers at school.
I've missed the mashed potatoes and cookies in the Caf.
I've missed the smell of the waffle cone batter.

As I make this list, I realize I haven't missed much else
Sure, I love the community and the late nights sewing in the 99s and sitting on the caf porch for hours with coffee after coffee and Gnome Night at Nine on Nemsdays

But at the same time
I have known all of this was temporary
so I've been prepared to let it go without much anxiety, if any

For now
I look forward to my new world
with the sounds of trains at night 
[to remind me that there are places that aren't {here} ]
the company and Dunkin Donuts coffee on the back porch
the cat and the rat
the kitsch upon kitsch upon kitsch
the anticipation of nurturing love
perhaps temporary, albeit necessary

No comments:

Post a Comment