Friday, July 10, 2009

Love and Old Age

Sometimes, like today

The "moment" of the day does not hit you with force
It sneaks up on you and embraces you from behind and you are filled with peace.

When I first started this blog, I thought I'd only write down the "moments" that made me laugh until I cried because the combination of those two things is just so great. You laugh until you cry. You cry until you laugh and everyone must breathe until their dying breath.

I have been thinking a lot about old, worn-in love. At DT Disney yesterday, Hannah and I pointed out a lot of it to each other. There is something so great about being old, worn-out, wrinkly, saggy and kinda fat (or just fat) and holding hands with some other old broken down human being that you just enjoy the company of so fiercely.

Today in Whittier I followed around a couple a little while before I felt the nudge of the "moment", soft and peaceful, point out to me, "you in 25 years":

A woman, rotund and weathered, with short hair pulled back from her face,
a bright auburn that must have been chemically enhanced,
wearing a flowing brown skirt, leather sandals and silver bangles
Linked her first two fingers with the last two fingers of a taller man
whose long dirty blond hair was pulled back into a loose, sloppy bun
his face a beautiful explosion of sea-battered leathery skin
and graying whiskers
Their freckled and sagging arms swinging slightly

That's right
You thought I wasn't a romantic person
And neither did I
But luckily, I am young, and there's still time to reinvent
Before I get old, wrinkly, saggy, kinda fat and set in my ways

1 comment:

  1. I love older people who are still in love, or finding love. I love that in 20 years Leif and I will be so comfortable with each other and still enjoying each others company. We'll still make each other laugh and we'll still have fun sitting silently together. Love is a beautiful thing. And love like that isn't just limited to another person, but also God:)

    ReplyDelete